Friday, June 5, 2009

Cracks of Life 28 : Fear's Empire


Went climbing yesterday night, first time climbing so late

I'll update on it as soon as I get the pics from wee vien and william

Didn't think that climbing at night would make it so much easier to sleep!!

Maybe that's the cure for my insomnia problems....

But one thing lar... a lot of strong ppl hogging the bouldering walls... You might not
be able to climb at ur favourite spots

Be right back, i'll have a bath before starting this post.. So sleepy, can't get into the right mood!!

Okay, I'm back, shall we begin?

I'm gonna be serious for a bit yea, as always (:


................................................................................................................................................



A lot of us have quite a misconception of fear...

Indeed, fear has conquered our lives in many ways

Fear of Heights

Fear of death

Fear of people

Fear of commitment

Fear of being loved

Fear of not being accepted by others

Fear of being hurt

And many more exist within us, differing from one individual to another

So much so that you could say, fear has built it's empire in our hearts

People are even afraid of fear itself

But being human, fear is a part of our emotions

It's not something we can avoid, like love

Yes... just like love

So, instead of being afraid of our own emotions, we should try to understand more about it

What is fear?

Fear protects us, in a way as to not attempt too dangerous activities, for if there is
no fear we become daredevils

From another perspective, fear is also dangerous, it might even kill us

What do I mean kill? Is it even possible for fear to kill us?

Let me ask you

Why do people commit suicide?

Pressure? Tension? Problems?

If I were to talk to a man who was going to jump

I would say

Are you afraid to face it?

Coward, be a man and face the world, not run from it

I might not know what problems you may be facing but...

I know that you don't really want to die right now, but you're forcing yourself to

And if you can really come back and face it all

Ur quite a man (:

The choice is yours to the end though...

And then I'll walk away cool-ly.... But potong steam loh if I see his face in
the papers the next morning...

Maybe I should've just did what Jim Carrey did in Yes man

Fear to face the harsh reality that this world has to offer...

Would drive any man insane, and even to the grave

It would be normal for people to run away from something they're afraid of

Feelings like 'i can't do it anymore' or 'there's no point in living anymore'
start to arise in your gut

Humans are emotional beings

And in times like this they're prone to listening to their emotions than their heads

BUT

This is where we misunderstand

The whole point of fear!

We never really saw the big picture

The true meaning of fear

Or rather, it's true purpose

We were always running away from it, so we never saw it in a clear light

Turn around and look

Fear

Only makes us stronger...

When we conquer it

Imagine you were afraid of heights

But after multiple exposure to heights (rock climbing, flying, etc)

You no longer fear it, cause you know it won't harm you, and even if it does

So what (:

I'm not gonna give up rock climbing just because there is a risk to fall and die

There is always a risk no matter what you do, sometimes death comes when you least expect it

The choice is still yours, in my case I don't want to spend my entire life being scared of it

So why are we running away from something that's supposed to help us?

Fear exists so we can overcome it

If there was no fear, there is nothing to overcome

No way to become a stronger person

And life would be just plain dull

As I said fear made it's empire in our hearts

Thus it is our job to conquer the entire empire!

Not at all once, but maybe one fear or region at a time

Humans want to become better at life

That is their goal

Something to keep them busy

So you could say, fear is a good and bad thing

It's good when you can overcome it

It's reaaaaally bad when you can't

You could say fear is really subjective, depending on how the individual reacts to it

So there's really no reason to run from it

Because you'll have to face your fears someday anyway...

This is how it is when you look at fear in the positive light

Not in the negative... it just makes you so gloomy and more afraid...

But I never actually mentioned HOW to face our fears

But...

Why should I say something that you already know deep down?

Because you would know your fear best, and the cure for it

The same way I would know about my own fear, and how to fight it

Because fear is a very individual thing...

But there is one fear I would like to point out

People do know through my blog, and through interactions with me on a daily basis, that I'm
quite an open guy, I talk about a lot of things, even sex

And if I cared about what people said, I wouldn't have put up the last post (:

I believe that as long as I'm not hurting someone else, it's okay to talk about what you want

the funny thing here is...

How many people have a chance to be so honest with themselves?

No, let me rephrase that

How many people have the PRIVILEGE to be themselves?

To say what they want, to do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt others

Society has become a very judgemental medium

and so, arises the fear of being judged by others

And not being accepted for who you are

It's just... sad. People change so much because of that

You no longer see their smiles

How could you be happy deep down when you're someone you're not?

To know that people only accept you when you act the way they want?

I was really lucky to be able to be who I am. I don't hv to hide my true personality or be someone else.

Because that's who I am, the straightforward type

What type of person are you?

How do you conquer this fear?

I stood my ground, people are going to accept me for who I am, not what they want me to be

That was how I faced this fear

How would you face it?

I was once a bit confused about fear

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't drink, gamble, smoke, have one night stands, etc

And I thought I was afraid of those things

Was I afraid to smoke?

To gamble?

To have sex?

Was it fear that stopped me?

After a while I realized

No, it was because I had a really good reason not to do those things

I wasn't afraid after all (:

I didn't want people to worry for me, so I never smoked

I didn't really have awesome luck, so there was really no need to gamble

I never had sex because it's meant to be with someone important, not just anyone

I didn't want to come home drunk and start hitting my family, so I never drank

But there was one thing I was afraid of though

I was afraid I wouldn't make a good boyfriend (:

But the time will come eventually for me to face that last one

So in the end, ask yourself

Are you afraid to face the world?

....................................................................................................................................




No comments:

Post a Comment